- 500g lean ground beef – lah-ma maf-roo-ma
- 4 hamburger buns – ‘eysh ham-bor-gar
- 1 large red onion – ba-sal
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped – ba’-doo-nis
- 4 lettuce leaves – khas
- 2 tomatoes, sliced – ta-ma-tem
- 2 tbsp ketchup – ket-chup
- 2 tbsp light mayonnaise – may-o-nays
- olive oil – zeit za-toon
- salt and pepper – malh and fel-fel
- Cut the onion in half. Mince one half and slice the other into four slices.
- Place the minced onion, ground beef, parsley, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix well with your hands. Divide into four patties.
- Slightly brush the patties with olive oil and grill for 10 minutes. Flip them over and cook the other side.
- Mix the ketchup and mayonnaise in a bowl to make the sauce.
- Cut the hamburger buns open and grill until toasted.
- Spread some sauce on the top part of each bun.
- Place one slice of onion, followed by a lettuce leaf, tomato slices and one grilled meat patty on the bottom part of a bun and cover with the top half of the bun.
- Repeat for the other buns.
Sandawach Toona – Tuna sandwich
- 2 whole wheat rolls – kai-sar bon-ni
- 170g tuna in oil, equivalent to 1 can – too-na
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise – may-o-nays
- 2 tbsp corn – dor-a
- 4 pickles, sliced in length – tor-shy
- 2 lettuce leaves – khas
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice – a-seer la-moon
- Cut the bread rolls open and fill each with half of the tuna.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp of lemon juice over the tuna in each roll.
- Place the bread rolls in a sandwich toaster for two minutes or until the bread rolls are brown. Do not over-toast them, they would be hard to handle.
- Re-open each roll and spread the mayonnaise on the roll. Arrange the sweet corn, pickles and a leaf of lettuce on top of the tune.
- Close the bread roll and serve.